Street lighting control and management PLC (Power Line Communication) or RF (Radio Frequency) Technical Proposal
The inteliLIGHT® PLC (Power Line Communication) or RF (Radio Frequency)™ system overview
inteliLIGHT® is a street lighting remote control management system that offers detailed, individual lamp control of every lamp.
Controllers are installed on each lamp and they manage and monitor every fixture in the area, performing ON/OFF switching and dimming functions, manually or according to pre-set area schedules, for lamps with electronic ballast. Additionaly, the controllers provide detailed feedback and error reporting.
Remote Terminal Units (RTU) are installed at transformers, feeder pillars and street lighting distribution boxes and represents a set of devices that receives all the software commands and consequently manages the lamp controllers, but also gathers all the information from the afferent controllers, analyzes, prioritizes, compresses and feeds it to the inteliLIGHT® software.
The inteliLIGHT® StreetLight Control Software runs on a server installed in the cloud or at the client Data Centre with back-up for Disaster Recovery and offers advanced analytic tools, failure reporting, customizable maintenance planning, automatic daily backups and recovery procedures for a seamless functioning of the system.
inteliLIGHT® communicates using PLC (Power Line Communication) or RF (Radio Frequency) between the controllers and RTU (Remote Terminal Unit) and using any IP-based communication solution available between the RTUsand the central server. It uses the existing infrastructure, so there is no need for any civil work to install the system.
Fig. A: inteliLIGHT® street ligting management system arhitecture
Technical proposal description
inteliLIGHT® remote street lighting management solution has the following architecture:
1. Controllers installed at each pole inside the street lighting grid:
2. Devices installed at the feeder pillar or power supply cabinet level (RTU – Remote Terminal Unit)
3. Central management software suite
4. Mobile device application for field installations
Level 1: Street Lighting Lamps
Hardware installed at each pole inside the street lighting grid:
a) FPM 152 streetlight controller that manage and monitor lamps with electromagnetic ballast for lamps up to 150W.
b) FPM 402 streetlight controller that manage and monitor lamps with electromagnetic ballast for lamps up to 150W.
c) FPE 220 streetlight controller that manage and monitor lamps with electronic ballast for lamps up to 500W.
d) FPX 220 on/off streetlight controller that manage and monitor lamps up to 500W.
Functions at luminaire level:
- Electrical and energetic parameters as well as error conditions are available at every luminaire individually;
- The system allows commands for every lamp of the street lighting grid. The standard commands available are: ON luminaire(for all the lamps); OFF luminaire(for all lamps); Dimming of luminaire
- The equipment is conceived to be installed at the base of the poles or adjacent to the ballast;
- Measurements carried out:
o Lamp power
o Line voltage;
o active power;
o running hours;
- Alarms monitored:
o Pole door open;
o Pole impact;
o Faulty grounding;
o Device failure
Level 2: Remote Terminal Unit
It will be installed one remote terminal unit for each feeder pillar.
Remote terminal unit components:
a) FRB-110 Local communication router;
b) FNM 232 Three phases electricity network analyzer module for grid monitoring;
c) FPC-200 (Data sheet 6 SS), Data concentrator for PLC communication;
Functions at this level:
- The system includes data retransmission mechanism to increase Power Line communication distance;
- Communication between remote terminal units and central software via Ethernet or HSUPA/GPRS;
- All system components comply with open communication protocols in order to enable future developments with different suppliers;
- The solution may offer a complete backup system, in the case of data concentrator failure the system falls back to photocell operation mode and the controllers turns ON in auto-on mode;
- The system enables different ways of functionality (continuous power, daytime power off)
- Communication between concentrators and controllers via Power Line Communication using LONWorks protocol
- The system measures and analyses electrical parameters at every remote terminal unit
- Individual monitoring for each phase and null
- Instant data reading from the network analyzers
- Measurements carried out:
o Voltage (under/over voltage);
o Active power;
o Reactive power;
o Power factor;
o Energy consumption
- Alarms monitored:
o Underpower /Overpower;
o Undervoltage /Overvoltage;
o Daytime/nighttime consumption mismatch.
o Fuse burned detection;
o Door open;
o Cable cut detection
Level 3: Central Level
The functions performed at a central level are carried out using inteliLIGHT NMS central management software suite (Data sheet 8 NMS)
- Allows remote control and monitor the street lighting network through a user interface
- Build with a graphical map showing the position of the lamp poles, network elements and power transformers with GIS compatibility
- The system allows the operator to detect errors and warnings, turn lamps on and off, set dimming levels manually for both single lamps and custom grouped lamps
- The central management software uses IP technology to interface with a cluster of data concentrators
- Display of field information and configuration of the system
- The system will prioritize alerts and malfunctions, triggered commands reacting to different events
- The system may send emails and SMS text messages to the operators
- User/neighborhood assignment
- From a central level, the operator is able to perform manual command for individual luminaires, power supply cabinet, group/cabinet, user defined groups
- The complete solution will be customizable for special requirements
- The software component will allow Multilanguage interface
- The software component will enable different user privileges, according to the assigned rights
- Reports available: luminaires status, system status, lamp runtime
- Continuous real-time monitoring of energy consumption (alerts for threshold overcome)
- Unauthorized consumption detection (out-of-schedule operation, energy theft, grounding, etc.
- Active/reactive energy consumption display for each individual phase with graphics
- Reports available: daily/week/month energy consumption, energy saving (also with graphics option), alerts resolution status, recurring alerts, phase imbalance in power cabinets.
Level 4: Mobile device application
The inteliLIGHT StreetLight PDA application for field installations is designed to set up the components of the inteliLIGHT® remote management system in the main software interface